Can I be screened for sickle cell anemia?

Yes, it is possible to be screened for sickle cell anemia. In fact, most infants in the United States are screened for sickle cell anemia at birth. This is done by examining the blood cells with a microscope. You should make sure you are screened particularly if you have any relatives who have the condition.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

How does sickle cell anemia affect the body?
Sickle cell anemia causes an oxygen deficiency in different parts of the body, which can be dangerou...
Can I play sports and be active if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
People with sickle cell trait can play sports and do other intense activities (e.g., military traini...
When Was Sickle Cell Disease Discovered?
What Does The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Do?