Sickle cell anemia can be managed by avoiding any activities that may trigger an emergency, such as illnesses, any high-altitude activities, or strenuous exercise. You can also manage your stress level, avoid cholesterol, and drink a lot of water to help prevent blood clots and other complications. Over the counter medications can also be used to control the pain caused by compression of smaller blood vessels. Folic acid supplements can also help your bone marrow create red blood cells.
- Q What is sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease?
- Q Can I donate blood if I have sickle cell disease?
- Q What is sickle cell disease?
- Q What is sickle cell trait?
- Q What is the duration of sickle cell anemia?
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with sickle cell anemia?