What increases my risk for sickle cell anemia?

Because sickle cell anemia is an inherited disease, genetics are the only thing that may increase your risk. In the United States, 10 percent of African Americans are carriers. People of Spanish, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean descent commonly carry the sickle cell anemia trait as well. However, carriers rarely experience symptoms, if at all. This is because it takes the genes of two carriers to cause the genetic mutation that causes sickle cell anemia to develop.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

How is sickle cell disease treated?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Sickle cell disease treatments include the following: Medicines such as hydroxyurea.  Painkiller...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with sickle cell anemia?
If you are caring for someone with sickle cell anemia, you need to make sure that they are regularly...
How Many People Have Sickle Cell Disease?
When Was Sickle Cell Disease Discovered?