If I have sickle cell trait, do I also have sickle cell disease?

People with sickle cell trait don't have sickle cell disease and don't usually show any signs of the disease. However—in rare cases—people with sickle cell trait might experience complications and, in extreme circumstances, sudden death. More research is needed to find out why some people with sickle cell trait have complications and others do not.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

How is sickle cell disease treated?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Sickle cell disease treatments include the following: Medicines such as hydroxyurea.  Painkiller...
How many people get sickle cell anemia?
In the United States, roughly 2 million people carry the sickle cell trait. However, about 70,000 to...
Why Is It Important to Empower People with Rare Diseases?
How Does Sickle Cell Disease Affect the Body?