Q

Sickle Cell Disease

How is sickle cell disease diagnosed?

• Sickle-cell disease is diagnosed on a blood test looking at the different types of hemoglobin. Sickle-cell disease is often screened for during the newborn period. This is especially important if either parent caries the sickle-cell gene.
  • Sickle cell anemia is suspected if symptoms include anemia, nausea, or stomach pain, especially in people with African, Spanish, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, or Indian descent. Blood can be drawn and examined for sickle cells in order to confirm the diagnosis. Hemoglobin electrophoresis can also be performed, in which an electric current separates out abnormal hemoglobin in the blood.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I find out if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?