How common is sickle cell anemia in children?

In the United States, sickle cell anemia is most prevalent among children of African Americans and Hispanic descent: approximately 1 in 500 for African American; approximately 1 in every 1,200 for Hispanic Americans.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

How do I manage my sickle cell disease on a daily basis?
Sickle cell anemia can be managed by avoiding any activities that may trigger an emergency, such as ...
Is sickle cell trait (SCT) contagious?
A person cannot "catch" sickle cell trait from another person, like a cold or the flu, nor can you g...
What Does The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Do?
What Is Sickle Cell Disease?
What Is Sickle Cell Disease?