Should I talk to my doctor about my sickle cell anemia symptoms?

Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms if you experience swelling in the hands, feet, or abdomen. If you notice a yellowing of your skin, contract a fever, or have any signs of a stroke, you should seek immediate medical help. Sickle cell anemia is usually visible early in life, so if your child develops any symptoms, talk with your child's physician about treatment options.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

Who is affected by sickle cell trait (SCT)?
Sickle cell trait (SCT) affects 1 in 12 African Americans in the United States. SCT is most common a...
Can I play sports and be active if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
People with sickle cell trait can play sports and do other intense activities (e.g., military traini...
How Many People Have Sickle Cell Disease?
What Does The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Do?