Is there a cure for sickle cell anemia?

The only possible cure for sickle cell anemia is a bone marrow transplant. However, this procedure can be risky because a donor with matching genes must be found. This procedure involves transplanting healthy stem cells from a genetically compatible donor into the bone marrow of someone with sickle cell anemia. The stem cells can prevent the production of the type of hemoglobin that causes sickle-shaped red blood cells. After a transplant, immunosuppressants will need to be taken for life to prevent infection. Bone marrow transplant, even if performed successfully, will not always cure sickle cell anemia.

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

Why should I be tested for sickle cell trait (SCT)?
You could have sickle cell trait and not know it. No matter what their ethnic background, both men a...
What are the chances my baby will have sickle cell disease (SCD)?
If both parents have sickle cell trait (SCT), there is a 50 percent (or 1 in 2) chance that the chil...
How Does Sickle Cell Disease Affect the Body?
Why Is It Important to Empower People with Rare Diseases?