Can I play sports and be active if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?

People with sickle cell trait can play sports and do other intense activities (e.g., military training). However, they should take steps to help prevent problems, like drinking plenty of water and resting often. In their extreme form and in rare cases, the following conditions could be harmful for people with sickle cell trait:

• Increased pressure in the atmosphere (e.g., while scuba diving)
  • Low oxygen levels in the air (e.g., when mountain climbing, exercising extremely hard in military boot camp or training for an athletic competition)
  • Dehydration (e.g., too little water in the body)
  • High altitudes (e.g., flying, mountain climbing or visiting a city at a high altitude)

Continue Learning about Sickle Cell Disease

How can I find out if I have sickle cell trait (SCT)?
A simple blood test can be done to find out if someone has sickle cell trait (SCT). Testing is avail...
What are the chances my baby will have sickle cell disease (SCD)?
If both parents have sickle cell trait (SCT), there is a 50 percent (or 1 in 2) chance that the chil...
Why Is It Important to Empower People with Rare Diseases?
How Many People Have Sickle Cell Disease?