If I suspect an outbreak of shingles, how soon should I start treatment?

Shingles is a virus that causes pain, itching, skin blisters, and other unpleasant symptoms. If you suspect that you have shingles, see your doctor right away. It's best to receive medication within three days of the first appearance of a shingles-related rash on your skin. That will help to control symptoms and reduce how long you will suffer with a shingles outbreak. Prompt treatment also lowers your risk for something called post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN). PHN causes burning and itching that can last for months after a shingles rash has disappeared.

Talk with your doctor about the causes of and treatments for shingles. 

Continue Learning about Shingles Treatment

What is the latest research and treatment options for shingles?
Scientists are studying several critical aspects of shingles in hopes of helping to prevent the ...
What home remedies can relieve the pain of shingles?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
There are some good medications that can help with shingles pain if given within 72 hours of when th...
Ask the Experts: Shingles Treatment
Ask the Experts: Shingles Treatment
The Shingles Vaccine Is Safe and Effective