Why is shingles so painful?

Shingles is caused by a virus called varicella-zoster virus (VZV) that sets up housekeeping in certain nerve cells. These nerve cells, or neurons, send messages -- including pain signals -- to the brain. VZV also causes chickenpox. Most people have chickenpox in their lifetime, even if it's so mild that you don't notice any symptoms. Afterward, VZV can settle into your nerve cells and live quietly for years without causing any problems. However, for some reason, VZV can become reactivated. When that happens, VZV multiplies and travels along nerve fibers. As it does so, VZV produces the painful symptoms of shingles.

Talk to your doctor about ways you can manage pain caused by shingles. 

Continue Learning about Shingles

Shingles: The New Heart and Brain Threat
A shingles outbreak is usually very, very painful and, as a recent British study reveals, it could also be downright deadly. It doubles the risk for a...
Should CFS or fibromyalgia patients get the shingles vaccine?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I am not quick to offer shingles vaccine in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I am quick, at the firs...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story