Why is it important for seniors to get the shingles vaccine?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that one out of every three people 60 years old or older will get shingles. Shingles, also known as zoster or herpes zoster, is a painful skin rash caused by the varicella zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. If you’ve had chickenpox, you are at risk of getting shingles. The shingles vaccine reduces the risk of having shingles, the duration of a shingles attack and the pain associated with a shingles rash.

Continue Learning about Shingles

My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
In this video, Tamara shares her shingles story: The initial pain she feared was a cancer relapse, her diagnosis and three-week recovery, and why she ...
Should CFS or fibromyalgia patients get the shingles vaccine?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I am not quick to offer shingles vaccine in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I am quick, at the firs...
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
Essential questions about the painful, blistering rash known as shingles.
Avoiding the Shingles Vaccine? Here's Why You Should Consider It