Where on the body does the shingles rash develop?

A shingles rash can develop anywhere on the body. However, the skin blisters caused by shingles are most likely to occur in two places:
  • On one side of the waistline. The blisters form a band that's called a dermatome. 
  • On one side of the face. A shingles rash on the face usually forms around an eye or on the forehead. 
If you develop a rash or blisters anywhere on your body, see a doctor immediately.

The rash associated with shingles usually only forms on a small part of the body. Shingles most commonly develops on one side of the body in a single strip around your torso. It can develop in other places of the body, though, including your face and eyes. Rashes that form in those areas are more likely to cause complications. It's also possible for a person to have shingles without ever getting a rash at all. Talk to your doctor if you have a blister-filled rash that may be caused by shingles.

Continue Learning about Shingles

4 Scary Side Effects of the Shingles Virus
It’s estimated that one in three people will experience shingles in their lifetime. Shingles is a viral infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus...
How should I moisturize my skin if I have shingles?
Shingles occurs in varying degrees that range from a slight rash to a very painful blistering ra...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story