What causes shingles?

Herpes zoster (shingles) affects about one million people every year in the U.S. Shingles is triggered by the varicella zoster virus, which first causes chicken pox and then lies dormant in the body.
Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. After you suffered that bout of chicken pox as a child, this virus stays in your system throughout life. It can affect a nerve root in your spine 50 or 60 years later to cause the intense pain associated with this weird ailment.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...
Shingles is caused by the herpes zoster virus, which also causes chickenpox. If you had chickenpox when you were younger, then as you get older, the same zoster virus can reactivate in the form of shingles.

Continue Learning about Shingles

Shingles: The New Heart and Brain Threat
A shingles outbreak is usually very, very painful and, as a recent British study reveals, it could also be downright deadly. It doubles the risk for a...
When should I call my doctor if I have shingles?
Shingles is a virus caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox (the varicella-zoster virus). If...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
The Shingles Vaccine Is Safe and Effective