What research is being done on shingles and shingles-related conditions?

Shingles is an unpleasant condition that can cause a painful rash. Scientists are currently studying many different aspects of shingles in hopes of understanding what causes the disease and how best to treat it.

Some researchers hope to develop new medications for controlling the varicella-zoster virus (VZV), which causes shingles. Others are trying to learn how to boost the activity of white blood cells in the body that fight VZV. Another important area of research involves trying to piece together why some people with shingles develop post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is pain and itching that persists long after a shingles skin rash has disappeared. Still other scientists are studying alternative treatments for relieving shingles pain, such as tai chi, an ancient Chinese discipline.

Continue Learning about Shingles

A Shingles Diagnosis: One Expert Weighs In
In this video, Nethea shares her story with shingles. Watch her and her physician discuss the the painful rash that woke her in the middle of the nigh...
How should I moisturize my skin if I have shingles?
Shingles occurs in varying degrees that range from a slight rash to a very painful blistering ra...
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
Essential questions about the painful, blistering rash known as shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story