Is shingles related to herpes?

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is a type of herpes virus. That's why shingles is also known as herpes zoster. The herpes viruses are also responsible for cold sores and genital herpes, but these aren't caused by the same virus as shingles.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). This virus belongs to a larger group known as herpes viruses. The term herpes is often used informally to refer to herpes simplex virus (HSV). HSV causes sores around the mouth and in the genital area. VZV is related to HSV but causes different symptoms. Shingles, which produces pain, itching, and fluid-filled blisters, is also known as herpes zoster.

Consult with your doctor to get more information about these viruses.

Continue Learning about Shingles

6 Essential Facts About the Shingles Vaccine
Shingles is an infection caused by a reactivation of the virus that causes chickenpox. After you’ve had chickenpox and the infection has cleared up, t...
How active can I be with shingles?
People with shingles have no limitations on their activities other than to avoid newborns, pregn...
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
Essential questions about the painful, blistering rash known as shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story