How can painful red blisters that crust over be symptoms of shingles?

People who have the skin disorder known as shingles can develop painful red blisters that may form a crust. The blisters usually form on the trunk (main part of the body) on one side of the body only. Shingles is caused by the virus that causes chickenpox. If you have had chickenpox, the virus may lay dormant for many years before re-emerging and causing the symptoms of shingles. Shingles symptoms can also include fever, burning, and sensitivity to touch.

Continue Learning about Shingles

The Links Between Shingles and Emotional Health
You wake up one morning and feel a weird burning, itchy or tingly sensation. You look, but there’s nothing to see. The irritating sensation might last...
What is postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?
Postherpetic neuralgia is a chronic pain condition that affects your nerves and skin. It results fro...
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
Essential questions about the painful, blistering rash known as shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tawanda's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tawanda's Story