How should I moisturize my skin if I have shingles?

Shingles occurs in varying degrees that range from a slight rash to a very painful blistering rash. If your case of shingles is mild, you may be able to use your regular moisturizer. However, if your case of shingles is severe, talk to your doctor or dermatologist about how to care for your skin, including how and whether to moisturize it, especially the affected areas.

Continue Learning about Shingles

Shingles

Shingles

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which also causes chickenpox. Unlike chickenpox, shingles is not contagious, but lies dormant in your body after you have chickenpox. Symptoms of shingles include an itchy, painful ...

rash that forms blisters on one side of the body. They can also, in rarer cases, cause severe complications, like changes in vision and hearing, or pain lasting up to several years after the shingles rash is gone. Most people that have shingles have compromised immunity, or are over the age of 50, although 20% of the population will develop shingles at some point in their lives. Certain antiviral medications can slow down the virus and offer pain relief, but no cure exists for the virus.