How is shingles diagnosed?

A doctor diagnoses shingles by taking a full medical history, asking questions, and examining the person. If a doctor suspects shingles, he or she will look for the following clues to help confirm the diagnosis:
  • The patient is experiencing pain, itching, or a burning sensation at a specific location on the body, especially if it's one side of the waist or one side of the face. 
  • The patient has these symptoms and fluid-filled blisters on the skin of the affected body part. 
  • The patient is over 40.
  • The patient's immune system is weakened by disease or medication prescribed to treat disease.
If your doctor suspects that you have shingles, he or she will prescribe medication that can help manage the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Shingles

My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
In this video, Tamara shares her shingles story: The initial pain she feared was a cancer relapse, her diagnosis and three-week recovery, and why she ...
Can shingles pain lead to a decline in quality of life?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Any type of pain can affect quality of life. The important thing with shingles is to try to see a he...
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles5 Reasons to Talk to Your Doctor About Shingles
Essential questions about the painful, blistering rash known as shingles.
Avoiding the Shingles Vaccine? Here's Why You Should Consider It