Should I talk to my doctor about my shingles symptoms?

If you have symptoms that you think may be caused by shingles, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor. This is especially true if you know you have a weakened immune system or if your rash is very painful. Although the disease may go away on its own, you may be at risk for complications like infections or nerve damage. Your doctor can help you lessen these risks with certain medications, so it's worth making an appointment.

If you think you might have shingles, see a doctor immediately. Antiviral medications that doctors use to treat shingles are most effective if you take them within three days of the first appearance of a shingles rash. These medications can reduce the risk of long-term complications of shingles, which can include pain and itching that persist for months after a shingles skin rash has cleared up. Even if you have had symptoms of shingles for longer than three days, see your doctor right away. 

Continue Learning about Shingles

A Shingles Diagnosis: One Expert Weighs In
In this video, Nethea shares her story with shingles. Watch her and her physician discuss the the painful rash that woke her in the middle of the nigh...
Why is shingles so painful?
Shingles is caused by a virus called varicella-zoster virus (VZV) that sets up housekeeping in c...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.