If I've already had shingles, can I get it again?

Most people who've had shingles won't get it again. In fact, fewer than 4% of people who've had shingles develop it more than once. However, some people may develop shingles again, even if they've already had it. This usually occurs in older adults or in people with weakened immune systems.

The risk of developing shingles a second time is low, but it can happen. Studies show that fewer than 4% of people who develop shingles (also known as herpes zoster) will have another bout of this painful condition in their lifetime. If you do develop shingles a second time, the disease will probably affect a different part of your body. A second occurrence of shingles can happen many years after the first.

Consult with your doctor about the possibility developing shingles again. 

Continue Learning about Shingles

A Shingles Diagnosis: One Expert Weighs In
In this video, Nethea shares her story with shingles. Watch her and her physician discuss the the painful rash that woke her in the middle of the nigh...
How active can I be with shingles?
People with shingles have no limitations on their activities other than to avoid newborns, pregn...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tamara's Story