How should I treat shin splints?

Treatment for shin splints consists of resting your body to let it heal. Also, you should ice your shins for 15 to 20 minutes each time the pain is occurring. You can take anti-inflammatory medications to help with the pain and swelling. You could also do some strength exercises such as calf raises and ankle range of motion to increase strength. If pain is constant or progressively gets worse, consult your doctor. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Shin Splints

What are shin splints and how can I avoid them?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
This is a potentially complex problem with relatively simple treatments that can be challenging for ...
What stretches should I do to prevent shin splints?
Performing calf stretches with the knee both straight and bent will help target the specific calf mu...
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints
How Are Shin Splints Treated?
How Are Shin Splints Treated?