What strengthening exercises should I do to prevent shin splints?

The one of the muscles you would want to strengthen is the anterior tibialis. This muscle runs down the front of your lower leg and helps control your foot while running or walking. You can apply resistance to the top of your foot via tubing or a cable and then pull your foot back toward you against the resistance. This strengthening exercise, called resisted dorsiflexion, will target the anterior tibialis muscle. A second muscle to strengthen is the posterior tibialis. This muscle runs deep down the back of the lower leg and also helps control the foot. Perform single-leg calf raises with your foot slightly turned in toward the center of your body to help strength this muscle and also decrease stress to the lower leg when running. Perform 1-3 sets of 10 - 15 repetitions of each exercise.

Continue Learning about Shin Splints

How Can I Reduce the Pain from Shin Splints?
What Is a Shin Splint?
What Is a Shin Splint?
How Are Shin Splints Treated?
How Are Shin Splints Treated?
What Other Shin Pain Is There Besides Shin Splints?