How does Shigella food poisoning affect the body?

After entering the body in contaminated food, Shigella group bacteria infect cells that line the inside of the intestines and often produce a toxin. The toxin affects both the intestines and the nervous system. Cells of the intestinal lining are damaged, which causes inflammation and bleeding. The infected person experiences diarrhea (possibly bloody), abdominal cramps, and small stools. Effects of the toxin on the nervous system commonly include fever and rarely other symptoms, such as seizure. Nervous system symptoms are most severe in young children.

Continue Learning about Shigella Food Poisoning

How do medications treat Shigella food poisoning?
Shigella food poisoning is caused by various bacteria of the biological group (genus) Shigella. Cert...
How do I manage my Shigella food poisoning?
For mild cases of Shigella food poisoning, drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and get plenty of...
Is there a cure for Shigella food poisoning?
Shigella food poisoning is caused by bacteria of the biological group (genus) Shigella. Various anti...
Can Shigella food poisoning be prevented?
Ximena JimenezXimena Jimenez
Shigella food poisoning can be prevented with proper handwashing and preventing flies to come in con...