What's the role of soap or foam in shaving?

Shaving with a blade would be much more difficult if it weren't for some kind of lather to lubricate the whole process. The first lubricant (still used by many today) was soap. It can be regular old bathroom soap, lathered up and applied to the face with the hand. Or the tradition of the shaving mug, with a cake of shaving soap at the bottom, is more common. The soap is put on with a special shaving brush whose bristles are made of badger hair.

Later, another sort of lather came along - extra-creamy foam, stored in and applied from an aerosol can. The foam is almost structural in terms of density and strength, thanks to a combination of the ingredients glycerine, lanoline, Stearic acid and triethanolamine . Other active ingredients also are present, and water makes up four-fifths of the foam formula.

Continue Learning about Shaving

What Are Some Treatments for Razor Bumps?
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?
How Can I Shave to Prevent Ingrown Hairs?
How Do I Know When My Razor Blade Needs to Be Replaced?