How can a woman avoid razor burn?

A razor burn results when the follicles become irritated. You’ll see the redness within minutes to hours. It can happen frequently if you shave too closely, too harshly, too quickly, or on skin that’s not softened by the warm water enough to endure the abrasion. Almost every woman experiences razor burn at some point; avoiding it to begin with is the best medicine, since the rash can be painful.

To avoid razor burn: Use good razors, change your blade at least once a week; shave toward the end of your shower after your skin has softened from the heat, use a shaving cream or gel, go slowly and don’t push into your skin, and don’t go over the same area twice. If razor burn is a persistent problem, consider laser treatment, which damages the hair follicles and prevents hair growth. Laser hair removal typically requires a series of treatments (five to seven), followed by a touchup every six months to a year.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Shaving

Are shaving products specific to skin types?
Some shaving products are better than others for certain types of skin. For example, using shavi...
What's the story of the electric razor?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Thirty years after the development of the safety razor, a man named Jacob Schick realized his long-h...
What Are Some Treatments for Razor Bumps?
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?