What is chlamydia in teens?

This is another bacterial infection that hangs out in the urethra in the male or the cervix in the female, but it can creep up the fallopian tubes and cause big problems such as pelvic inflammatory disease, or infections in the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes, causing acute and chronic pelvic pain and infertility if not treated.

However, if chlamydia is treated with just a simple one-time dose of the antibiotic azithromycin (brand names Zithromax, Zmax), you can
avoid future pelvic pain and infertility. Visit your doctor for a urine screening test at least once a year if you’re sexually active, and three to six months after a new sexual relationship. The good news? Chlamydia doesn’t like saliva, so it won’t cause a nasty sore throat.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

How effective is the birth control pill for teens?
The birth control pill is very effective for both teens and adults for preventing pregnancy. Whe...
As a teen, what should I know about HPV?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
HPV stands for human papilloma virus. There are over a hundred different strains of HPV, some of whi...
How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?
Can My Doctor Tell Whether I've Ever Had Sex By Examining Me?