What birth control works best against pregnancy and STDs if I'm a teenager?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
The birth control that works best against both pregnancy and STDs all by itself is a condom. That is because condoms are the only birth control that work against STDs. However, condoms, while they are way more effective than not using birth control at all, are not the best or most effective against pregnancy.
In general, the less you have to do about birth control everyday or even every time you have sex, the better the birth control works at preventing pregnancy. For women who still want to be able to have a pregnancy later when the time is right, the most effective birth control is an intrauterine device or IUD. Also very effective are the pills, patch and vaginal ring that contain hormones.
The birth control that works best against pregnancy and STDs is to use one of these very effective methods along with condoms every single time you have sex.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

How can I avoid getting a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You can lower your risk of getting an STI with the following steps. The steps work best when used to...
What are the parts of the teen female reproductive system?
Female anatomy is complex because everything is on the inside. So here’s the primer from the outside...
As a teen, how can I prevent HPV?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
There are now vaccinations that prevent you from catching the most common strains of HPV (human papi...
Is chlamydia a treatable disease?
If you get the sexually transmitted disease chlamydia, can your doctor treat you for it? Watch ...