As a teen, can I get pregnant if I have sex during my period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Yes, you can get pregnant if you have sex during your period.  As soon as your period starts, your body is already getting the next cycle’s egg ready for ovulation. The time it takes for an egg to develop enough for ovulation depends on the levels of hormones that develop with the cycle. It can sometimes occur in as few as seven days.
What is even more important though is that sex anywhere up to five days before a woman ovulates can result in a pregnancy. It turns out that the cervix actually stores the living sperm cells and releases them over 5 days.  So, do the math. If an egg can be ready in 7 days and a pregnancy can result in sex anytime up to 5 days before the egg is ready, you could get pregnant from sex on the second day of your period.
The days where having sex is likely to result in a pregnancy are called the fertile days. Since teens typically have cycles that are different lengths from one cycle to the next, predicting the fertile and non-fertile days is very difficult.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

Can I get STDs from oral sex?
Oral sex might not be as safe as you thought it was in terms of risk of infections. Watch as Dr...
As a teen, will swallowing sperm make me sick?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Swallowing sperm is not usually a health risk, unless you are allergic to it. However, in this v...
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?
Is It Possible to Get Pregnant From Anal Sex?