As a teen, how can I recognize the symptoms of trichomoniasis?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Trichomoniasis is a microscopic organism. It is a single cell with a tail-like structure called a flagella that allows it to move through liquid. Trichomoniasis lives in the genital tract, the vagina of women and the penis of men. It is spread from one person to another through sex.
The symptoms include a watery discharge that causes burning and itching. There may also be swelling. You must see a health care provider for an examination to be sure the symptoms are in fact caused by trichomoniasis. The infection is cured with antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

Is it possible to get pregnant from anal sex?
Anal sex could be considered by some people as safe because you can't get pregnant - but is that t...
As a teen, what should I know about genital herpes?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
There are several strains of herpes simplex virus but by far the most common strains are called Type...
As a teen, how can I prevent HPV?
There are now vaccinations that prevent you from catching the most common strains of HPV (human papi...
As a teen, will birth control pills make me gain weight?
That’s a myth--one believed by many moms, kids, and even health care providers. The Pill does not ma...