As a teen, how do pheromones work?

Pheromones float through the air and stimulate nerves in your nose. The nerve signals are carried to your brain and trigger complicated chemical reactions that ultimately end with a question such as “Wanna hang out?” Recently, scientists have become extremely interested in this system. They suspect that the pheromone system starts with nerve cells in a pair of tiny, cigar-shaped sacs called the vomeronasal organ (VNO), where the signals are first picked up. Located just behind the nostrils in the nose’s dividing wall, the VNO is a pretty primitive structure. Nerve zero begins in the nose and ends in the brain area that deals with sexual feelings. Because this nerve is important in the sex drive of other animals, researchers have theorized that it plays a big role in our drive to have sexual or physical relationships with other people.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a teen, what should I know about HPV?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
HPV stands for human papilloma virus. There are over a hundred different strains of HPV, some of whi...
What is a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
A sexually transmitted infection is spread from person to person by close contact of the genitals to...
How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?