As a teen, how do I know if I am ready to have sex with someone?

Safe sex should combine meaning, pleasure, and vulnerability in a way that makes you feel confident in sharing your most intimate thoughts and feelings. If you’re having sex but are missing a piece of that equation, you should ask yourself a few simple questions: Is this the right partner? Will he or she be there for me next month, next year, for the duration? Is there mutual trust and respect here? Can we really talk about anything? Is he or she pressuring or guilt-tripping me into having sex before I’m ready? And do I know everything about his or her past sexual life, before me?

If you’re not having pleasure, it may mean that you do not yet have clear answers to some of these questions and may want to explore a healthy sexuality without actual intercourse, through touch and other senses. Or it may mean that you and your partner need to learn different techniques for foreplay, to make sure that your pleasure spots are being found and appreciated. If that’s not a conversation you can have, then you probably should not be doing the deed.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a teen, is it safe for me to have oral sex?
Oral sex has been proven to spread HPV and other STDs. In this video, Drs. Roizen, Rome, and Oz ...
As a teen, what's the best way to prevent pregnancy?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Simply put, sex is designed to cause pregnancy. This means not having sex, or having the penis ejacu...
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?
Can My Doctor Tell Whether I've Ever Had Sex By Examining Me?