As a teen, how can I keep from getting genital herpes?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Genital herpes are caused by a virus called Herpes Simplex Virus. There are several strains of this virus. Genital herpes is almost always caused by the strain of herpes called type 2. This virus is very common.
When a person has an active blister, the person is the most contagious but the virus can also be spread even when there isn’t a blister present.  The best ways to avoid spreading or catching the virus is to not touch active blisters as in kissing or having sex. Using condoms for sex reduces the risk of spreading the virus.
There are oral tablets that can be used to make the symptoms go away more quickly. You need a prescription from your health care provider for these tablets. A person that keeps getting outbreaks of blisters very frequently may use the same tablets on a daily basis. This not only prevents or reduces further outbreaks, but also reduces the amount of virus they have to spread and protects their intimate partners.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a Teen, Is It Normal to Not Have Orgasms?
How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?
As a Teen, When Will I Know When It's Time to Have Sex?
Is Masturbating Once a Week Bad for Me As a Teen?