As a teen, how can I get trichomoniasis?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Trichomoniasis is spread through intimate contact. This means not only sex, the penis in the vagina, but any touching of genitals or sex toys from the infected person to a partner, can spread trichomoniasis.
Trichomoniasis is a single-celled orgranism with a flagella, or tail, that can move through the secretions of the vagina and penis. It can be seen on a microscope at an office visit. It causes a fishy odor, discharge, itching and sometimes redness. There are other things that can cause similar symptoms, so it needs to be checked and diagnosed by a health care provider. It is treated and cured with specific antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

How can birth-control pills help with cramps as a teen?
Tyler S. Carroll, MDTyler S. Carroll, MD
Birth control pills are hormonal pills usually containing estrogen and progesterone that can control...
Is masturbating once a week bad for me as a teen?
Masturbation is a healthy release. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen discuss how much is too ...
Is Chlamydia a Treatable Disease?
Is Chlamydia a Treatable Disease?
As a Teen, Where Can I Get Tested for Sexually Transmitted Diseases?