Is it okay to masturbate?

It’s healthy and normal. Both guys and girls may feel the need for the release of an orgasm regularly, and masturbation is a way to experience sexual pleasure without the risks associated with sexual intercourse. None of the myths about over masturbating are true (like hairy palms or going blind), but you are going overboard if you’re masturbating in public or have rubbed yourself raw. Usually people prefer to masturbate in their beds or in the shower.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

Can my doctor tell whether I've ever had sex by examining me?
Ever wonder if your doctor will know you've had sex when he examines you? Watch as Dr. Jennifer A...
How effective are condoms in teens?
Condoms reduce the risk of STIs but are only 85 percent safe in terms of reducing the risk of preg...
As a teen, how do I know if I am ready to have sex with someone?
Safe sex should combine meaning, pleasure, and vulnerability in a way that makes you feel confident ...
As a teen, when will I know when it's time to have sex?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Having sex should ideally be reserved for when you feel you are in a mature, committed relations...