Is chlamydia a treatable disease?

If you get the sexually transmitted disease chlamydia, can your doctor treat you for it?

Watch as Dr. Jennifer Ashton and Dr. Oz talk to teenagers about whether chlamydia is a treatable disease, in this video. 

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

While there are some sexually transmitted diseases that are permanent once you get them, chlamydia is not one of these. Chlamydia is certainly treatable and also very common.

To treat chlamydia, your doctor will prescribe you a course of antibiotics. Take ALL of the pills as prescribed. In addition, you should be tested for other sexually transmitted diseases. 

Most importantly, make sure to practice safe sex after getting treated! This time you have a disease that is treatable. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a teen, what should I do if my stomach hurts after eating?
The first step is to try to figure out if a particular food might be the culprit. The best way t...
What is the proper way for a teen to use a condom?
Here's how to use a condom:1. Check the expiration date on the condom package and examine it for any...
As a Teen, Where Can I Get Tested for Sexually Transmitted Diseases?
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?
Can I Get Stds From Oral Sex?