How are sperm produced in teens?

Testosterone is made in the testicles; seminiferous tubules, stimulated by chemical messengers from the brain called luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). In early puberty, LH tells the tubules to start producing sperm, which then move to the coiled tube at the back of the testicles, the epididymis. There they gain a tail and learn to swim straight. Sperm hang out in the epididymis until you’re ready for shooting (meaning ejaculation) because they are sensitive to heat and thrive in a temperatureseveral degrees lower than the human body. That’s why you were designed with your scrotum hanging outside: to keep your testes cool.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

Is it dangerous to kiss as a teen?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Kissing itself is not dangerous in itself, but it depends on whom you're kissing. In this video,...
How normal is it to have erections during sleep?
Erections during sleep are entirely normal. Early-morning erections are the most common and are a pr...
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?
How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?