As a teen, what should I do if my stomach hurts after eating?

The first step is to try to figure out if a particular food might be the culprit. The best way to do that is through the food-elimination test. What you’ll do is completely eliminate certain groups of foods, one at a time, for at least three days in a row, although sometimes the elimination of a food takes two or more weeks to show its benefits in terms of how you feel.

During that time, take notes about all the different ways you feel: your energy level, fatigue, and how often you go to the bathroom. Think about what makes you feel better or worse. Here’s the order we suggest in terms of eliminating foods: gluten-containing wheat products (including rye, barley, and oats), dairy products, refined carbohydrates (especially sugar), saturated fats and trans fats, and artificial colors. The latter are tough to get rid of because they’re in practically everything. But don’t get rid of all fats; your body still needs thirty to fifty grams of healthy fat a day.    

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a teen, can douching after sex keep me from getting pregnant?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
No, douching after sex does not keep you from getting pregnant. Simply put douching after sex is doe...
Is masturbating once a week bad for me as a teen?
Masturbation is a healthy release. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen discuss how much is too ...
Can My Doctor Tell Whether I've Ever Had Sex By Examining Me?
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?
Is Herpes a Curable Disease?