Can a primary care doctor tell how I'm coping with military sexual trauma?

Not really. Medical doctors are not really trained to identify MST and would need to refer you to a mental health professional. Your primary doctor will offer a referral simply based on your history but make a referral only if you seem to be experiencing distress or poor coping mechanisms.You should welcome the referral if you are experiencing conditions such as PTSD, depression or substance abuse.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment

Are there any specific services for women with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you’d rather be in a single-sex environment, take advantage of the Department of Veterans Affairs...
More Answers
Where can I get help if I’ve been sexually assaulted?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are sexually assaulted, it is not your fault. Don't be afraid to ask for help or support. Hel...
More Answers
What happens during a sexual assault exam?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During a sexual assault exam, the first thing that happens is a head-to-toe exam to rule out any lif...
More Answers
Can I see any mental health provider for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Yes, you can see any mental health provider with whom you are comfortable, but you should seek someo...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.