What obstacles exist when filing a claim for military sexual trauma?

You may experience some obstacles when filing a claim for military sexual trauma. Be prepared to discuss the trauma in detail in front of people who are not healthcare of mental health providers. Reliving the experience may prove stressful to some and could even aggravate some of your symptoms, especially if you suffer from PTSD. Primary care providers and their mental health colleagues need to be prepared for this possibility and should have a treatment plan in place (e.g., medications for symptoms, mental health referral) should it occur. Also, be conscious of how you will handle the outcome if you encounter denial.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault

Why Is It So Hard to Define Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault. Rape. Sexual violence. What does each term mean? “These terms are really different preferences for how to describe what is essentiall...
How do I determine eligibility for VA treatment of military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
According to the VA, any veteran who believes he/she has experienced military sexual trauma can appl...
How do I file a VA disability claim for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
To file a VA disability claim for military sexual trauma, you should first submit it with your regio...
Investigating Sexual Assault During Massage Sessions