Is relationship avoidance normal after military sexual trauma?

Yes, withdrawing socially is just one of the consequences of military sexual trauma. You may or may not notice yourself pulling away from friends and relatives or even allowing these relationship to become strained. According to research from the Centers for Disease Control, some victims who don’t seek help become susceptible to destructive behaviors such as engaging in high-risk sexual behavior (multiple sex partners and unprotected sex) or abusing alcohol and drugs.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault

News: Sexual Harassment and Assault Linked to Long-Term Mental, Physical Health Issues
When a woman is sexually harassed in the workplace or is sexually assaulted, she can experience negative effects on both her mental and physical healt...
What other problems might I encounter following a sexual assault?
In addition to initial or prolonged feelings of anger, shame and guilt, many victims of sexual assau...
Are survivors of military sexual trauma more prone to illness?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Unfortunately, studies suggest that survivors of MST report increased frequency of illnesses such as...
If Someone Grabs My Waist How Do I Get Away From Them?