How can I prepare myself for filing a military sexual trauma claim?

If you’re thinking about filing a claim for military sexual trauma, the best preparation is to establish a consistent relationship with a mental health provider. Take advantage of support networks, including your family and friends, and resources such as VA coordinators and counselors who can assist you through the process. Understand the process may aggravate your condition creating PTSD flare ups. You may want to have a follow-up visit with your mental health provider. Try to establish good coping strategies such as meditation and exercise instead of alcohol or substance abuse.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault

Why Is It So Hard to Define Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault. Rape. Sexual violence. What does each term mean? “These terms are really different preferences for how to describe what is essentiall...
Are threats a form of military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Yes, threats are a form of military sexual trauma. Any time you felt pressured by physical threat, n...
Will I have to prove that the military sexual trauma occurred?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
No, you do not need to prove that the military sexual trauma occurred. Just letting the VA doctor kn...
Megyn Kelly’s Advice for Those Who Have Experienced Sexual Advancements in the Workplace