How can I prepare myself for filing a military sexual trauma claim?

If you’re thinking about filing a claim for military sexual trauma, the best preparation is to establish a consistent relationship with a mental health provider. Take advantage of support networks, including your family and friends, and resources such as VA coordinators and counselors who can assist you through the process. Understand the process may aggravate your condition creating PTSD flare ups. You may want to have a follow-up visit with your mental health provider. Try to establish good coping strategies such as meditation and exercise instead of alcohol or substance abuse.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault

What Everyone Should Know About Sexual Violence
Consider these statistics—every 92 seconds someone in the United States is sexually assaulted, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Networ...
What obstacles exist when filing a claim for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
You may experience some obstacles when filing a claim for military sexual trauma. Be prepared to dis...
How do I file a VA disability claim for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
To file a VA disability claim for military sexual trauma, you should first submit it with your regio...
Why Ali Vincent Wanted to Share Her Story