Can I file a VA disability claim for military sexual trauma?

Yes, you can file a VA disability claim if you’ve developed impairments from an in-service sexual trauma. PTSD and other chronic conditions such as infertility are most common.

You must have a licensed health care provider document that you have a current disability/medical diagnosis resulting from an in-service injury.

You can also file a claim is the trauma occurred during off military base or outside of your regular tour of duty. Even if you suffered a trauma prior to joining the military, you may still be eligible if you can prove that it was aggravated by the MST.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault

What Everyone Should Know About Sexual Violence
Consider these statistics—every 92 seconds someone in the United States is sexually assaulted, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Networ...
How are boys and men affected by sexual assault?
Howard Fradkin, PhDHoward Fradkin, PhD
Boys and men generally suffer very significant effects of sexual assault. These effects can occur fr...
Could I have survived military sexual trauma without any problems?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Absolutely. You can survive MST and have no physical or psychological problems. Some victims of assa...
Why Ali Vincent Wanted to Share Her Story