What is sexual abuse of a nursing home resident?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Sexual abuse is a nonconsensual sexual contact of any kind with a nursing home resident. Sexual abuse can be anything from unwanted touching, sexual assault, rape, sodomy, coerced nudity or even nude photography.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Sexual abuse of a nursing home resident is part of the larger picture of elder abuse. Specifically, sexual abuse is the same; unwanted, unwelcomed behaviors from another of a sexual nature. The 'other' can be another resident, a visiting family member or staff member at the nursing home. As with other forms of elder abuse, the senior often cannot or will not report the abuse, for fear that they will have no one to care for them if they say anything. Of course we can only guess at the number of times that happens. 

If you have a loved one in a nursing home, visit at unpredictable times so you can get a true sense of what kind of care is the norm. Be involved if you can with any committees the home may have for relatives of residents. Volunteer to help with crafts or recreational events. 

Continue Learning about Sexual Abuse

The Devastating Mental Effects of Sexual Harassment
2017 was the year of #MeToo, when victims of sexual harassment—often women, but men as well—shared their experiences and raised awareness of this perv...
What to do if I face past sexual abuse feelings during childbearing?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Recognize and accept that some fears and concerns make sense. Sexual abuse (or any other abuse) rare...
What is prostitution and sex trafficking?
Prostitution is sometimes portrayed as a way to make vast amounts of money, live the "good" life, or...
What is sexual abuse of children?
ChildhelpChildhelp
Sexual abuse of children occurs when an adult uses a child for sexual purposes or involves a child i...