What is sexual abuse of a nursing home resident?

Sexual abuse of a nursing home resident is part of the larger picture of elder abuse. Specifically, sexual abuse is the same; unwanted, unwelcomed behaviors from another of a sexual nature. The 'other' can be another resident, a visiting family member or staff member at the nursing home. As with other forms of elder abuse, the senior often cannot or will not report the abuse, for fear that they will have no one to care for them if they say anything. Of course we can only guess at the number of times that happens. 

If you have a loved one in a nursing home, visit at unpredictable times so you can get a true sense of what kind of care is the norm. Be involved if you can with any committees the home may have for relatives of residents. Volunteer to help with crafts or recreational events. 

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Sexual abuse is a nonconsensual sexual contact of any kind with a nursing home resident. Sexual abuse can be anything from unwanted touching, sexual assault, rape, sodomy, coerced nudity or even nude photography.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Sexual Abuse

The Devastating Mental Effects of Sexual Harassment
2017 was the year of #MeToo, when victims of sexual harassment—often women, but men as well—shared their experiences and raised awareness of this perv...
How do traffickers work?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Child and teen sex trafficking often starts between the ages of 12 and 14. Many of these girls have ...
What causes sexual abuse of a child?
Howard Fradkin, PhDHoward Fradkin, PhD
Perpetrators of sexual abuse of children are men and women who are struggling with meeting their own...
What are treatments for sexual difficulties due to sexual abuse?
Howard Fradkin, PhDHoward Fradkin, PhD
There are many categories of sexual difficulties. First, there is the issue of survivors who either ...