How do Kegel exercises help with orgasm?

Kegel (or pelvic floor) exercises help intensify the feeling of orgasm because they strengthen/tone the muscles that contract during orgasm. Watch me explain how to do Kegel exercises properly.
Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

Kegel exercises are exercises where you squeeze your urethral sphincter, the muscle that you use to stop yourself from peeing. There are all kinds of regimens about how often and how long to do these, but the basic rule is “the more, the better.” That means more exercises, more often, held for longer and longer periods of time. At first, it might be just a second or two, but you can build up to quite a long tension. Strengthening the PC muscles will increase the intensity of the orgasmic experience and give you more control over your arousal level.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...
Elizabeth Poynor, MD
Gynecologic Oncology

Kegel exercises are moves to help strengthen the pelvic floor. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, PhD, a gynecologist-oncologist in New York City, explains that Kegels can help improve orgasms and alleviate pelvic pain during sex.

Continue Learning about Orgasm

Can You Actually Live Longer If You Have More Orgasms?
Orgasm, climax, the big O—whatever you want to call it, you’re probably a big fan. But did you know that, according to a Planned Parenthood survey, 15...
Is it normal for women to have abdominal cramps after an orgasm?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
If you are talking about a woman experiencing cramps when she has an orgasm, there are a few reasons...
For a better orgasm, what is the best time of day to have sex?
When's the best time for sex: in the morning, when you have energy but no time? Or at night, whe...
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?