With premature ejaculation, why use foreplay before intercourse?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
A concept I often recommend to couples is “intercourse plus,” that is, intercourse that’s preceded by foreplay techniques including stimulating her with your hand, your mouth, and/or a vibrator. Studies have shown that the vast majority of women do not experience orgasm from intercourse alone, but rather from assisted intercourse or “intercourse plus.” For couples dealing with premature ejaculation, though, it’s the opposite: focusing on foreplay as the main sexual activity and the chief way she’s going to climax. Then you top off all that with some intercourse -- literally. So it’s “foreplay plus.”
The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

How important is mastering oral sex if I have premature ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Premature ejaculation (PE) is less of a problem if you can satisfy a woman, regardless of how that h...
If I ejaculate prematurely, can my partner still reach orgasm?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
If you do come, that doesn’t mean it’s game over just yet. Blood flows slowly out of your penis afte...
Can Premature Ejaculation Be a Sign of a More Serious Health Problem?
What Causes Premature Ejaculation (PE)?
What Causes Premature Ejaculation (PE)?