Why is “knowing” the vulva so important in satisfying my partner?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health

To satisfy your partner, you have to know your way around the geography of her vulva. That includes the northern tippy-top of the clitoral glans (the “love-button,” so to speak), to the western and eastern boundaries of the labia minora (her inner lips) to the southernmost regions of the perineum (the smooth expanse of skin just below the vaginal entrance) and anus. Understanding a woman’s body is crucial to helping her achieve orgasm: With more than 18 parts, twice as many nerve endings as the penis, and the enviable ability to produce multiple orgasms, the clitoris is the indisputable powerhouse of female sexuality. The vast majority of nerve endings that contribute to female orgasm are located on the surface of the vulva and do not require vaginal penetration. That’s why applying pressure and rhythm to the vulva, and specifically the clitoris, is more important than constantly thrusting or switching positions. In fact, many intercourse positions don’t stimulate her clitoris at all -- and won’t give her an orgasm. So get cliterate!

The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

What are common misconceptions women have about premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
The following are common misconceptions women have about premature ejaculation (PE): PE is a sig...
With premature ejaculation, how long can I go before ejaculating?
Most guys can actually only have intercourse for an average of about two to five minutes before ejac...
How Can I Talk About My Premature Ejaculation with My Partner?
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?