How can being asked to hold my orgasm affect me with premature ejaculation?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
When you realize that many women are unfamiliar with the concepts of ejaculatory inevitability (when a man can’t hold back his orgasm) and ejaculatory threshold (the amount of stimulation a man can take before inevitability is reached), it makes sense that they want to get their guy as turned on as possible. But that’s the wrong approach for men with premature ejaculation (PE). In some ways, one of the worst things a woman can say to a man with PE is to ask him to “wait” to have his orgasm. In fact, the stress of being told to wait until you’re ready is likely to speed up ejaculatory inevitability. All this can make it really difficult to bring a woman to orgasm through intercourse. Because each woman is different -- and her ability to orgasm can fluctuate -- you can’t judge whether you have PE based on how long it takes her to come. But, in general, men with PE can’t last long enough to satisfy a woman during vaginal intercourse. No wonder many men with PE are constantly worried about sexual failure.

The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

Why was premature ejaculation beneficial in our evolution?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Believe it or not, premature ejaculation (PE) wasn’t always considered a problem -- in fact, it used...
What is chronic premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
For many guys, premature ejaculation (PE) is a chronic problem that they've been dealing with their ...
How Might a Man React to Having Premature Ejaculation?
How Do I Cope If Sexual Health Issues Make Me Feel Like Less of a Man?