Why is foreplay a good time to talk about my premature ejaculation?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health

Extended foreplay is the ideal time to have an intimate conversation. Try to get in the habit of sharing your fantasies and desires with each other, talking about what works and what doesn’t work. By extending foreplay, you create the perfect “time-zone” for talking about sex because as arousal heightens, our inhibitions lower due to a potent neurochemical cocktail unique to sexual arousal. It becomes easier to give feedback about how good something feels, or conversely if something could feel better. It’s also easier to share a naughty thought or fantasy. The point is that talking about sex should be sexy and having a constructive conversation can actually be part of foreplay.

Guys with premature ejaculation (PE) can take advantage of this process: For example, tell your partner that you have a fantasy or sexy dream that features the sex script that works best for you -- in most cases, that’s oral sex. Or, suggest mutual masturbation and taking turns as giver or receiver to prolong pleasure for both of you.

The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

What is the role of neurotransmitters in premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
The neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) serotonin and dopamine appear to be involved in prem...
What is chronic premature ejaculation?
For many guys, premature ejaculation (PE) is a chronic problem that they've been dealing with their ...
Can Premature Ejaculation Be a Sign of a More Serious Health Problem?
How Do I Cope If Sexual Health Issues Make Me Feel Like Less of a Man?