Is erectile dysfunction an indicator of cardiovascular disease?

Justin P. Levisay, MD
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by atherosclerotic disease (blockages of arteries). The underlying reasons that cause blockages of arteries in one area of the body often cause blockages in other parts, most notably the heart arteries (possibly causing a heart attack) and arteries to the brain (possibly causing a stroke). That said, there are causes of erectile dysfunction other than blocked arteries. I would highly recommend that any man with ED be evaluated for arterial disease elsewhere as this can be very dangerous.  
Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Erectile dysfunction is often an early indicator of poor cardiovascular health, according to a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Studying 2,300 men for an average of four years, researchers found that those with ED had a 58 percent greater risk of coronary heart disease.

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

With premature ejaculation, how long can I go before ejaculating?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Most guys can actually only have intercourse for an average of about two to five minutes before ejac...
How important is mastering oral sex if I have premature ejaculation?
Sari CooperSari Cooper
Mastering oral sex can be an important ingredient in a sexual pantry whether or not you have prematu...
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?
How Is Premature Ejaculation Treated?
Does Premature Ejaculation Get Better Over Time?